Hiring Temporary Workers In Canada

If your company is having difficulty with locating local labour for your operational efforts, you may be considering the Temporary Foreign Worker Program that allows foreign workers to take positions in companies when suitable citizens cannot be found or hired. This program allows your company to hire for a broad range of skills and backgrounds to meet temporary labour shortages. When working through the process your application must involve contact with Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), Service Canada (the service delivery arm of Human Resources and Skills Development Canada), and the Canada Border Services Agency. The applications for these programs can be complex, fluid in their consistency of regulations, and often require the advice and skill of an experienced immigration lawyer. If your company is exploring this labour resource, contact our law office and book an appointment to meet with our legal team. We are a dedicated immigration law firm that can spare you lost time in application delays, and the opportunity cost of not filling a needed position in your company.

Things to Know Before Starting the Process

Unless the work category/position your company is looking to fill is exempt from the LMO process, you will require a positive LMO (also known as an employment confirmation) from Service Canada. Assuming that an LMO is required, a positive confirmation must be attained before your prospective foreign worker(s) apply for a work permit.

When applying for an LMO, you will have to demonstrate:

  • Sufficient efforts to hire available Canadians/permanent residents;
  • Consistent and competitive wages within the Canadian region you are hiring;
  • Suitable working conditions for the position
  • Potential local economic benefits from the hiring of the foreign worker

Hiring Temporary Foreign Workers in Just 4 Steps

In most cases, foreign workers must apply for a work permit outside of Canada and, depending on their country of citizenship, may also require a temporary resident visa (TRV). In most cases, there are four major steps required for hiring temporary foreign workers from outside Canada. However, depending on the details of the employment position and the worker’s country of origin, some steps in the process can be omitted.

1.      Determine if you require an LMO.

2.      Apply for an LMO from Service Canada (if required).

3.      Advise the foreign worker(s) to complete the work permit application, which is then processed by CIC (if applicable).

4.      A Border Services Officer at a port of entry issues the work permit.

While this 4-step process may seem simplified and straight forward, there is a significant mass of documentation that must be completed and submitted within certain timelines. The nature in which these documents are completed, and the details disclosed, can have a serious impact on your success in attaining a LMO and, ultimately, your work permit. It is for this reason that it is so important that you have a dedicated immigration lawyer facilitate this process on behalf of your company. Doing so can save you a great deal of time, expense, and the opportunity cost of not filling the needed position.

Contact Our Immigration Lawyers Today

If your company is considering hiring foreign workers to help you handle the growth of your company during a regional labour shortage, contact our immigration lawyers in Edmonton and let us help you through the process. Our firm is a dedicated immigration law firm with a strong success rate for bringing temporary workers into Canada.

Edmonton Immigration Law Immigration offers guaranteed immigration services! If your immigration application is unsuccessful for any reasons you do not pay any legal fees.




Confirm You're Human

Temporary Worker Program